What to make this weekend to get ready for the week
- Cook some Rice
- Make Chicken Stock (and by extension the best smelling kitchen)
- Put together Smitten Kitchen’s Endive & Celery Salad w/ Fennel Vinaigrette
- Make Smitten Kitchen’s Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
- Bake Cooks Illustrated’s banana bread with Alison Roman’s Buttermilk Dressing (here’s a good substitute)
Monday, October 28th
My cousins, Shannon & Christy, DM’d us last week recommending that we make their Shrimp & Avocado Tower recipe. Both of them have great taste in food (there was a homemade hot pot situation that really sealed the deal). So yeah, we’re gonna follow their advice.
- Breakfast: Peanut Butter & Banana Toast
- Lunch: Ham & Gruyere Croissant Sandwich w/ a side celery salad
- Dinner: Shannon’s Shrimp & Avocado Tower (similar recipe here)
Tuesday, October 29th
We try not to eat too much meat, for reasons (environmental, inner-moral conflicts, personal health, etc.), putting the soap box away, when we do get a steak it becomes a bit of an event. So with Ribeye for dinner – the middle of the week will be just a bit more special.
- Breakfast: Classic Berry Smoothie
- Lunch: Grain Bowl w/ Leftover Shrimp & Avocado
- Dinner: Bone-In Ribeye, Mashed Potatoes, Sauteed Swiss Chard
Wednesday, October 30th
This Skillet Penne recipe is a go-to for us. It only uses one pan, which makes it a perfect weeknight recipe. You brown the sausage first, then add liquid & pasta, and at the very end, add the spinach to wilt. It is so easy and so good.
- Breakfast: Overnight Oats w/ Cashew Butter & Frozen Peaches
- Lunch: Leftover Black Bean Pumpkin Soup
- Dinner: Skillet Penne w/ Sausage & Spinach
Thursday, October 31st
Happy Halloween! We’re keeping it spooky on Thursday with a Sriracha Egg Salad Sandwich (sriracha looks like blood right?), and a simple side salad. In the evening, we’ll thaw a Veggie Burger (pro tip: make a double batch ahead of time, and freeze) for a quick dinner.
- Breakfast: Avocado Toast
- Lunch: Sriracha Egg Salad Sandwich w/ Side Salad
- Dinner: Veggie Burgers w/ leftover mashed potatoes
Friday, November 1st
Our favorite time of the year has officially begun. The anticipation in October with Halloween is great, but November & December are especially great b/c they include Thanksgiving, Jane’s birthday, AND Christmas. Plus, people are generally in high spirits during the holidays.
- Breakfast: Overnight Oats w/ Cashew Butter & Cocoa Nibs
- Lunch: Family Lunch at Work
- Dinner: Leftover Skillet Penne